The Monastery's Chronicle
|The sisters of the monastery. Photo from the end of the XIX century.
The history of the Novo-Tikhvinsky monastery dates back to the end of the
18th century. It grew out of an alms-house at the cemetery church. The
church was consecrated in the name of the Dormition of the Most Holy
Theotokos, and the Heavenly Queen never left the sisters of the abode without
her help. In 1809 by the imperial Order, the small community was
transformed into a coenobitic women's monastery. Due to tbe zealous labor of
the nuns and the aid of the people in Ekaterinburg, the monastery was being
built and expanded, and soon became the largest one in the Urals. The
magnificent architectural ensemble was deservedly considered an adornment
of Ekaterinburg. For people of all social classes the monastery was a
small island of spirituality amidst the vain worldly sea. On feast days
hundreds of pilgrims would come to venerate the main relic of the
monastery -- the Tikhvin icon of Theotokos.
|The monastery. Photo from the beginning of the XX century.
Before the revolution, there dwelt about 1000 sisters in the abode. Those
entering the monastery would receive an education and would be taught
crafts. At the abode's territory there were built six churches,
residences for the sisters, and buildings where the various workshops were
located: gold-embroidery, iconographic, silk-embroidery, photographic,
spinning, enamel, and the sewing one. Altogether by 1917, there were 18
workshops in the monastery. The monastery had been readily visited by pilgrims and by the members
of the Royal Family among them. Emperor Alexander I was here in 1824, and
in 1837 the abode was visited by the heir, the great prince Alexander
Nikolayevich -- the future emperor Alexander II. In 1905, Saint righteous
John of Kronstadt served a Divine Liturgy in the monastery. Tikhvin fairs
timed to the patron's feast of the monastery on June 26th were quite famous.
Who knows what could this once flourishing abode mean for Russia today;
how many good deeds could have been done for the glory of God?
But hard times came, the times of the trial of faith. The revolution. In
1920 the abode was closed; years of desolation and devastation followed.
|A view at the monastery in the beginning of the XX century.
Only in 1994 there was issued an Edict of the Holy Synod about the
restoration of the Novo-Tikhvinsky women's monastery in the city of
Ekaterinburg. Soon the Tikhvin icon of the Mother of God which before the
revolution abided in one of the monastery's churches, was transferred into
the abode. Hundreds of faithful come to venerate it, to pray to the Most
Holy Lady, the merciful Intercessor for us before God. People
resort to her especially in prayers for their children. No one walks away
from Her unheard or unconsoled, but everyone receives what has been asked
for, according to one's faith.